We as believers choose to bless the Lord who chose to bless us by adopting us into His family.
The Passage of Scripture. Ephesians 1:5
Eph 1:5 “In love he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, 6 to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved.”
Some Notes On The Passage
- “Predestined” is [proorizō, προορίζω] from [pro meaning before] and [orizō meaning to mark out or appoint. It is the root of our English word ‘horizon’ which ‘marks out’ the boundary between the earth and the sky.] God appointed beforehand who would be adopted as His sons. They would become His sons through [faith in] Jesus Christ. It is important to note that God’s choice is not discriminatory but is based on His foreknowledge, as Peter points out in 1Peter 1:2 “who have been chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father.” He knows beforehand who will respond to Him and who will not. We don’t!
- “Adoption as sons” is the combined word [huiothesia, υἱοθεσία]. It is used only by Paul. It denotes that the sonship of believers is conferred on them and established in them by the indwelling Holy Spirit [Rom 8:15] who sets people free from slavery to the law [Gal 4:5.] It is a divine privilege, not a human right! God delighted to bestow this privilege on those who trusted and received His Son [Eph 1:5.]
- “Purpose” is [eudokia; εὐδοκία] meaning “good pleasure” or “delight.”
- “Grace” is [charis, χάρις]. It means God’s unmerited favour towards undeserving sinners who turn from their sins and trust in Christ for forgiveness and salvation.
- “Blessed” is from a similar root to charis. [It is charitoō, χαριτόω which means to bestow on, or to favour.] Believers have been blessed, favoured, by receiving God’s grace in being adopted into His family.
- This blessing exists “in the Beloved.” Literally, “in [Jesus] the One having been loved.” [Perfect tense of the verb agapaō; ἀγαπάω to love.]
A Suggested Prayer based on Ephesians 1:5
“Heavenly Father, we thank You that in Your eternal plan and purpose You chose to adopt us into Your family as Your children. We thank You that we came into Your family when we put our trust in Jesus as our Saviour and Lord. We thank You that Your grace has been poured out on us in Your beloved Son. Enable us to continually praise You for Your goodness and grace to us in bestowing those blessings on us in Him. Accept our thanks through Jesus Christ our Lord. AMEN.”